Štvanice Island
a place of sporting activities
The island, which got its name from the hunt, used to be a place for social events, and is today used for sporting activities.
Štvanice Island is located in the middle of the Vltava River between the Holešovice and Karlín districts and the oldest records of it date from the year 1118. Until the mid-18th century the island contained gardens and mature trees. At the end of the 17th century a round wooden arena was built in which until 1816 dogs hunted for beasts (bears, bulls, deer and cows) to entertain Prague society. These hunts were repeatedly banned until they ended completely in 1918.
Štvanice was also a place or other pastimes. It contained a shooting range, social events, fireworks, balloon cruises by French aircraft and more. There was the circular Růžodol dance club, cafés and restaurants where favourite dishes was served, and there was also an English garden with a summerhouse. Until 1989, when the island was bought by the municipality of Prague, the island was inhabited by various burghers, private owners or parishes.
The island was originally connected by wooden bridges from Těšnov and from the middle of the 19th century the Negrelli viaduct was built over the island for the railway. It was the second-oldest stone bridge in Prague after the Charles Bridge. Today it is a technical monument. In 1908 – 1912 it was followed by the Hlávka Bridge. At the tip of the island was a small hydroelectric power station, which produced a continuous flow until 1972. After reconstruction, it acquired three new turbines, which are working again.
In 1932 also the first ice rink in the country was built on Štvanice. However, due to its dilapidated state it was demolished in 2011. Since 1986 there is also a large tennis complex with a capacity of up to 7,000 seats, nine outdoor and two indoor tennis courts. Other sports facilities include a skate park and slalom waterway on the weir.